Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Siswati and my training host family

Sonibonani (Hello y'all),

Ninjani? Ngiyaphela nami. Sala kahle!
(How y'all doing? I'm fine myself. Stay well!)

Favorite siSwati word: sidududu (motorcycle)

I'm writing this way after the fact, so I'm just going to briefly recap the first 3 months of preservice training...

PST was busy and structured. A normal day:

6:30AM - wake up, bucket bath, breakfast, walk to Lomkhosi's
8:00-10:00AM - siSwati lessons
11:00-1:00PM - Cross-culture or technical lessons
1:00-2:00PM - Lunch
2:00-3:00PM - siSwati lessons
3:00-4:00PM - technical/medical/security
4:30- khumbi home, get off at soccer field and walk dirt roads to get home, cook dinner, hang out with host fam

My host family for PST was great. Babe and Make Mamba, sisi Lomavi and her son Sinbongmanzi she ice while I was there, and bobhuti Ndogozo na Siboniso.

Make gave me the Swazi name Sandziso, which means additional since I was the additional bhuti (brother).

No comments:

Post a Comment